Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

49-1609 help

I just purchased a 49-1609 from an antique store that had a bad wall plug..

I replaced the plug and it now has power, and the light turns on but there is not sound at all.

I have tested the speaker and it is functional

I ordered a new tube because one of the existing tubes was incorrect, hoping this solves the problem.

This is my first time really doing any electrical work/repair.

Please give me some advice and where to begin to get this baby playing music.

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

Unless your set has been serviced recently it likely needs to be recapped. Before you start into it, read through some of the restoration threads in the Phorum to get some insight on recapping. Check resistors and replace any that are more than 20% off. There are other things that could be a problem but that’s later.

The schematic for your set can be found here:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...013653.pdf

Hi and welcome,
You could go thru and measure some voltages but if this set hasn't been serviced in a while it's a waste of time. In terms consumable replacement parts I would start with C-102 and all of the section of C-103 (4 of them). These days it's easier to buy them a individual unit rather than 4 in one metal can. Replacing these part should get your power supply section in good order. We can go on from there.
Ham op ??

de N3GTE

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

+1 what Bob said. Definitely do a recap if you want to use this for daily listening. If you've never done this type of work or don't feel comfortable with soldering in new components, you might want to get in touch with this Antique Radio Club in Georgia: https://sarsradio.com/ They may have members local to you who would be willing to restore your chassis to working order.

That said, even before you do anything, verify that you have the correct tubes and that they are in the correct sockets. There should be a tube layout diagram inside the cabinet next to the chassis. If you don't have access to a tube tester, you'll need to find someone who has one you can borrow so that you can at least know that the tubes in the set are functional.

Good luck!

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org