Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mikes, Sams, and Terry's Cabinet restoration chronicles

You calling it "she" gives me some measure of confidence Icon_lol

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Today I started veneering. Terry's 16RX chairside saw way too much moisture so I have removed the veneer and portions of the base wood. There was a lot of lifting so I have glued and clamped. Tomorrow I can finish veneering the top with a beautiful book matched burl walnut from eBay and some straight grained walnut. Cabinet has been fully stripped and all the small chips have been fixed using the tight press gluing method. I used all my long clamps so I am working on the small Zenith toaster now. I need to stock 4' clamps. I always run out.

Icon_smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Hey Kirk, quit spending so much time on the cabinets! You're falling way behind on your electrocutions!!! Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Hey Kirk, quit spending so much time on the cabinets! You're falling way behind on your electrocutions!!! Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

Gary, 
 That is not true. I got shocked 2 times this week. Terry tells me to touch things under the chassis and I get whapped. Icon_lol
I shall update it...  Icon_crazy

Veneering day. The hard part is all the veneers. The burl is done and I just dry fitted everything. Now to roll each piece of veneer and the top of the chairside with glue and wait an hour for both surfaces to be slightly dry. Then I will put all the pieces back on and iron the top. This will wet the glue and permanently adhere the veneer to the cabinet. For that I use Titebond 1. Works great. You will need an iron for this so go buy one. If you use the spouses you will get beaten when they iron and gets ick all over the cloths. 

Icon_smile

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Today I traced, cut, trimmed, glued, ironed, and Grainfilled.  Icon_crazy
 The last veneering job is reveneering the lid of Sams philco. 

Here is Terrys Chairside thus far...

I think I might leave the original face.... It is real nice but I need Terry's ok.. TERRY!!!! 

Icon_twisted

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

It's all looking great! The only thing that sticks out is the line in the center of the front panel between the knobs and dial escutcheon. I little stain or marker would make that disappear. SO what is that Plumber's Mate grain filler? Must be better than the stuff I've used.[Image: https://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/sm...lleyes.gif]
Dang! now I'm starting to feel obligated to work on the 4 band 16 chassis that goes in it. I really don't want to become a 16 expert[Image: https://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/sm...n_evil.gif] Icon_crazy

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Ill see if the seam can be deleted. If not i'll strip and redo.

Today I decided instead of starting another radio I would keep going on this one.
 I grain filled the cabinet this morning so while it dries i'll start gluing Sams combo unit...

Icon_smile

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

What are you using for grain filler? Does it work better or easier than the stuff from Mowhawk?

All I've gotten from the Mohawk grain filler is a whole lot of frustration...

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Here is what I use.
Timbermate water based wood /grain filler...

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Staining time...This is just to redden the raw oak veneer.

I will be stripping it a third time and starting to add toner. 

I don't really see any contrasting colors? 
Is there any toner used on this model?

Icon_question

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

thanks for the info. Looking forward to the final product.

The color's nice.
Don't know if correct, but nice.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Does look like there is some contrast between the corner sections (lighter) and mid sections.
https://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1935a/#Model_16RX
To me I would lighten center section and tone the burl a little darker to match the lighten center.
Pics 3-5 have been refinished so they don't count. Looks like the decal (s) is on upside down and it's posed backwards.
The dial (printed upside down) is set up like the 660L where is closest to the operator and the knobs are above. It's
a little counter intuitive.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Mike,
 That is NOT the finished color. I am only dying the walnut to better match the original colors. I will have to strip it again and see if the colors are even. 

Terry,
 The burl is naturally darker than a straight grained raw veneer. When I get to that point I will show you and you can decide.

I was trying to save the face panel but no go... It needs to be refinished....

While stuff was gluing I decided to do a quick restoration on my newly acquired Silvertone 6230. The cabinet is awesome minus the top. I repaired the veneer issues and I sanded this one because I am only redoing the top. I taped it off but stripper will seep right through. I then grain filled and this morning I lacquered. Should I tone the top or does it look like a match?

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021