Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

High voltage readings

Rod

Reactance does not affect DC level.
It affects the AC component, but the average value of the voltage will get through.
So while the additional active resistance will drop additional volts, it is not an equivale to what reactance does: the reactance strictly help with filtering out the AC component.

Tom,

Also, I kept reminding myself to tell you, you could reduce the 1st cap within reason, between 6-8uF, and you could then increase the second cap quite a bit to compensate, it could go to 20uF or 40uF. The direct capacitance the tube sees is mostly the first cap, and so this does not violate tube's recommended maximum capacitive load.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

RodB

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind if changing the capacitor value doesn't get the voltage down far enough. It would be nice to get the plate voltages down far enough so that the 124 volt line voltage won't bump those voltages back above 250 volts once this radio is off the variac. I'm hoping not to have to add any more parts that weren't in the design of this radio.

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.