Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

296 power transformer ?

My power transformer let its smoke out. Previous restorer didn't replace the caps in the condenser block. Doing that now. My question is the original trans is a 3752T and the one I found is a 3752J it is taller and a little wider but will bolt in. Are these the same despite the physical difference? Same tab set up.

The 1936 parts catalog doesn't list any suffix after the number. If the core size is the same I would use it. The power transformers w/2.5 v heater windings are not  very plentiful these days.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

that's the thing, same part number but my book also shows no suffix. it is larger. Don't know how  to post a pic of them

The letter suffix and size difference may be a 50-60 cycle transformer and a 25-40 cycle transformer. You can use it; you just may need to adjust the size of the filter capacitors. I'll look it up for you...

Thanks. The trans I have is 60 Cycle part #3752 according to my parts book. The 25 Cycle is a different part number 3753

According to the "Complete Replacement Parts List" , Bulletin #39, the 3752 is indeed the 60 cycle transformer, but no suffix listed. I'd say it may be a different run of transformer, and there may have been an adjustment in the manufacturing process, or they used a different form shared with another transformer they were now producing. Should work fine.

Thank you. Was thinking it was an earlier version. the the T versus the J suffix. going to install.

I may be wrong, but I believe T = Thordarson and J = Jefferson. While Philco made a lot of their own parts, I don't think they made their own power transformers. At least not early on.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN