Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is this transformer toast?

Voltage peaked at about 480 and then settled at 372.  Is that too high?

That was fun!

It could be OK if it is unloaded.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Thank you, morzh.  What does "unloaded" mean?

Unloaded means all or some of the tubes are not inserted, so there is no load or less load than the nominal one. This will bring the voltage up.

Another consideration is, if the nominal voltage is the one listed in the documents, and is measured with today's instruments like a DMM, it will show a higher value due to the fact that the old instruments loaded the circuit having low input impedance whereas the new instruments having very high impedance do not load the circuit being measured.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I DID IT !!!!!!

The radio turns on and I'm getting stations.

For weeks, after recapping and all that, I couldn't figure out why there was sound but no reception.  It appears the phono pushbutton was stuck in the ON position.  Unsticking it did it.  I should say I think that's what did it.

Anyway, it's been a fun and illuminating journey.  You can imagine my joy.  Back in March I knew absolutely nothing.  Nada.  Zilch.

Thanks to everyone who patiently answered all my dumb questions.  Rest assured I will be back with more!

Ok Radio Man. Yes sometimes the answer seems as if only the Radio Oracle may possess. It can often turn out to be something that just escapes us. Glad it worked out.

Enjoy listening.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Congratulations, Pokey! Icon_clap Icon_thumbup   Well done. Now you've officially caught the radio bug and will soon be hooked like the rest of us. This will be the first of many sets you'll tackle I'm sure!

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

My condolences Icon_smile

Woo who!!

Hello Pokey,
that transformer looks like it needs a good cleaning and some good black spray paint .
Sincerely rich
P.S. welcome to the great hobby of radio restoration !!