Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

model111 recapped new resistors faint sound

i just recapped this radio put all new resistors works picks up stations but with volume all the way up very faint sound can turn it down to no sound when static comes in its loud ahd what do you hook to ground side of antenna any advise to a carpenter working on a radio denver Icon_rolleyes Icon_confused: Icon_idea Icon_lol

Well You got alot of possibilities for having poor sensitivity. A weak tube, an alignment issue, or an improper voltage somewhere can give you these symptoms. How to troubleshoot? First get out the voltmeter check voltages to see if they are what they should be as per the diagram. Test tubes. Get a signal generator and see how sensitive the RF and IF stages are. Does it seem to pickup just the very strong stations in your area? What sort of antenna are you using?
Terry
ps Please use caps and periods. I'm not trying to be a wise guy
but makes it a bit easier to follow where thoughts start and stop.
tnx

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks. Picks up local and some in Ohio, Midwest but faint .Sounds like i have a volume problem. Does the antenna suppose to arc when touched to antenna? Trying to use old outdoor tv antenna. Oh live in Wise Virginia.

Does the antenna suppose to arc when touched to antenna? Trying to use old outdoor tv antenna.

Well it can. The Capacitor block #61 (ac line filter)provides a path for small amount ac voltage from the ac line to the chaiss. The primary of the antenna coil is connected to the chaiss and the antenna. If you ground the chaiss to a water pipe or radiator that should eliminate that issue. Your tv antenna lead is it part of a cable system or is it the flat 1/2" wide two conductor stuff (300ohm twin lead)?
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Going to be the old type flat wire. Can i ground it to the ground via meter base outside?

A TV antenna does not make a good, efficient antenna for AM signals. Old radios such as the Model 111 were designed for use with a long wire antenna, erected outdoors, 50 to 100 feet in length and built as high as possible and as far from outside utility wires as possible.

In this day of neighborhood associations and such, however, erecting an outdoor longwire is not always possible. An acceptable substitute is to run a piece of thin wire, 25 feet or so in length, around the baseboard of the room the radio is in. One end connects to the ANT terminal on the radio; the other end does not connect to anything.

As for a ground, I suggest you find the main water line coming into your home. If it is metal, connect a clamp to the pipe and a wire to this clamp (being careful to not damage the pipe in any way). This will serve as a ground. If the water line is not metal, though, this will not work. Others will chime in with suggestions, I am sure. The utility ground may be OK.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks to you guys good help. Icon_mrgreen