Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

19LZX restoration

Aligned the set.
The procedure is well-hidden, but I unearthed sometging from the 89 Rider article.
Very simple alignment. Just IF (3 padders) and 1500 kHz. The lower frequency just aligned itself.
Now have to put it back together and clean up the exterior a bit.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

You're standing on your head to take that pic!

:

No. This is the way it is, the chassis is for the LZ so it is oriented this way so when itis horizontal, the wheel is upside down.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

So far so good Mike Icon_thumbup

Looking forward to a picture when it's back in the cabinet...

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

"This is the way it is, the chassis is for the LZ so it is oriented this way so when itis horizontal, the wheel is upside down."

That's right, it's a chair side. Duh!

I took the picture of what I saw while giving the chassis one last look:

Remember when I said this chassis is ...tight?
Yes. This tight. The first cap of the tone control is practically touching the grounded electrolytics mounting bracket. And the voltage there is the plate voltage. Safe, as all it would result in is the first cap getting engaged. But....so I had to bend it out. It is possible the bracket got moved a bit when put back in place. Still too close.

Anyhow, I put back the rear cover to the speaker cabinet and gave it a GoJo bath. 
I also sprayed the asbestos-lined metal screen with hi-temp finish, same I did for the Transoceanic.
Tomorrow hopefully I could reassemble the chassis into its cabinet, give the cabinet a GoJo bath, and it should be over then.

I have to say, it sounds really good. Not 38-690 good, but really, really good.

Well. I gave the radio cabinet GoJo wipe.
I made some pictures, but this is with the tablet and not a very good lighting.
This said, of course, the radio cabinet could use refinishing, though the speaker cabinet is fine the way it is. Not ideal but it looks decent to be preserved.

The sound is good. I like it. I took it out from my workshop to put with the general population. Too bad the space in my basement starts shrinking, and I do not think my wife wants it upstairs.
It will have to live in the basement for now.

It is no longer upside down.

This concludes it for now.

Looks good Mike Icon_thumbup

They're survivors and a few blemishes here and there after all they've been through can be overlooked.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Excellent work, Mike! There's too much good finish left to merit refinishing. Leave those "battle scars of a bygone era" intact...it gives it some extra character!

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

My thought exactly.
I wish I had some sort of account somewhere that allows videos. Unfortunately U-toob is no longer an option.
This is one good sounding radio.