Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

FM 100

Listening to a Zenith from about 1950, band switch sez AM, then FM100. So why say FM 100, I have no other sets that have that mark. Ideas? Paul

Tubetalk1

I'm listening to a Zenith 7H820.  This one has both the old FM band and the "new" one.  The old one is labeled FM 42, the new is labeled FM 100.  Perhaps yours is a carry over from older radios and people who remembered the old band.

Maybe when the FM band went up in frequency and crossed 100MHz, they referred to it as FM100 to distinguish between the old and the new ones?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I am not that old that I remember old bandIcon_smile. Paul

Tubetalk1

Zenith made several models in 1940s, my Spinet being one of those, with the old FM.
Dials were marked in numbers, not MHz.
I guess, once they migrated to the modern one, they tried to avoid confusion.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

These little Armstrong FM sets sound pretty good regardless. Paul

Tubetalk1

I'm probably wrong:

"FM-42" designation is the first FM band beginning at 42Mhz, the band being obsolete many years. Incidentally some receivers were marked as "channels"...

"FM-100" is the current band, containing 100mhz. So, in simple terms the names are not identically representative of what they are.

Chas

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

Our 1947 Zenith Console has both FM bands. IIRC the bandswitch indicator designates these FM 45 (may be 42) and FM 100. It reflects the frequency range for each, as pointed out before. The tuning dial on that radio is marked in frequency units for each band.

This also reflects the changes in radio that were happening at the time, and the battle for control of the commercial airwaves taking place between some of the technology's most notable figures.

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

Thanks for all the feedback....no pun. Paul

Tubetalk1