Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

40-155 dial cord restringing guide???

I recently picked up a 40-155 with a broken dial cord.  Does anyone know where I can find a guide for how to restring this model, or one of its equivelants (like the 40-150) that has the dial cord set up.  

I have the path that is on the Rider page for these models, but its a little more vague than I would like.

I'd like something that shows me the proper path and length.  Is that asking too much.  I found nothing to really help me as I searched the internet this afternoon!

I can guess at things, but perfer not to do so.  

Thanks for your help!

You probably already found this PDF, but here is the actual Philco service information for your set. There is a basic restringing guide illustrated:

https://philcoradio.com/library/download...20Book.pdf

Unfortunately, as many of us have found, restringing a missing or broken dial is often trial and error. Mostly error. You're lucky to have found ANY re-stringing diagram, however vague it may be. Certain radio brands do have better guides than others but many (read most) have none at all. I have found some with the length of the cord laid out straight posted, but not often. I did the dial a few years back on my 40-180, but I neglected to document the path and length. Patience is a virtue, so if it gets frustrating, take a break and try it again some other time. Each time you try it (make sure you have a lot of extra cord on hand) you will get a little closer to the needed outcome. Good luck!

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Thanks, Greg. The diagram is similar to the one in Riders. I guess I'm resigned to trial and error.... and buying extra cord. One more opportunity for character building and growth, right? Thanks again.

I found this one in Beitmans, see if it works.

Rod: That's the exact same one as what is shown on the Philco service info, so that must be the "go to" diagram.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Thanks Guys! I learning how to the perfection loop knot and have the original cord. So, I have an idea of it's actual length.

I'm in the process of ordering some new cord from Bob's in LeGrange Park.

One other question - it looks like I have to take off the dial glass mounting bracket so I can get to the cord wheel that's hidden. Sound right?

>> it looks like I have to take off the dial glass mounting bracket so I can get to the cord wheel that's hidden. Sound right?

I don't recall doing that on my 40-180 (the console version of your set), but if it makes it easier to get to I don't see why not. Other than you'll need the dial glass on to align the dial pointer properly.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Start with an extra foot or so of dial cord, follow the diagram and cut off the remainder at the spring.