Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 41-608 add AUX input thru Phono RCA Jack

Hello, I just finished restoring Philco 41-608 Radio/BOL Phono. I've tried to keep it as much original as possible. Only replaced caps, few wires and resistors, everything works even the original BOL set up. But i would like to add AUX input without doing any additional modifications (i.e soldering switch and wires to existing volume pot). I was wondering if I can create a removable splitter for "RCA" like jack that's going into the chassis from phono and use that as an input for a music player, using stereo to mono modified cable of course. Here is schematic showing where rca jack connects to chassis. Also I call it RCA input but its actually smaller than regular RCA cable, so if someone could tell me what cable is it i would appreciate it as well? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files Image(s)

I would use a small cap like .005-.01mfd connected the control grid of the 7c6. This will block any errant voltages from getting into your pickup or device. Got a pic of your connector?

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

thanks, in the schematic there is already 0.006uF cap before the grid (actually it was changed to 0.003uF in a later model). the RCA cable connects to that cap. Would you know what cable Philco used to connect phono to the chassic i cant find that type of cable anywhere.

here is the connector pic. Top is regular RCA bottom is my weird cable. Also both outer jacket and center pin are thicker on regular RCA.

Attached Files Image(s)

Yes you are correct the bottom one isn't a rca connector it's an automotive antenna connector. On the BOL sets the lamp is powered by a rf signal derived from the local oscillator. That's why there's a tapped choke (54) in the circuit. I didn't realize that you were going to be plugging and unplugging.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

That looks like a male plug for a 50s and 60s car antenna that plugs into the radio.

Yeah, what you said, Terry. Icon_think

Thanks guys that's what it was. just bought a Y splitter from Ebay for $5. I think it should work. I also tried hooking up with alligator clamps directly to the antenna cable and back to my rca input. Worked great. I think tapping directly into phono pre-amp is better than going thru AM audio path, since it cuts out all of the static.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Stereo-AM-F...Sw9D1eWIpM