Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Did Philco Make a Good AM-FM Table Radio?

I thought I would ask this seeing as I now have a couple good Zeniths and finally have a good RCA AM-FM table radio in my stable. Did Philco make a good AM-FM table radio and what model would it be? So far I have only seen small units in poor shape around here, so the jury is out on that for me. It seems odd to have two of what I consider the original 'Big Three' of radio sales represented without a Philco example.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Well I guess it depends on what year you're interested in. The first table model with FM is one of the best, the 48-482. A huge beast, basically a console in a table model. Has AM/FM and short wave.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Year doesn't really matter here, just in the tube era I would say. I have seen a few 48-482's in my area over the years, but they are usually trashed like most other late 40's Philcos are that I find around here. Also, it seems people's pets and kids loved to rip out both the grill cloth and the speaker cones in units I see.

The 48-482 I restored had a great sound. Gave it away as a gift.

I would vote for Philco model 53-956  my only Philco AM FM. Found at the local flea market summer of 2011.

I have often been leery of FM Philco due to their reluctance to pay for the "Armsrong System".

Paul

Tubetalk1

Thanks for the advice thus far. I almost bought a model 53-956 a few years back, but was a bit hesitant at the time and missed out. I was looking at a nice condition 49-906 with a bad cord today, but am trying to research that one first. I have a big Philco AM-FM and it's matching console from 1948 that both use two 117Z3 rectifier tubes. The console is fair, but tries to play and the table unit has a livable cabinet, but the best way to describe the inside is 'bio-hazard'. Some critters made a mess in there! In spite of that, it tried to power up and I got a little audio out of it. Not sure what to do with those two.

Edit: They are 1949 models. The table 'bio hazard' one is a 49-909 and the console is either a 49-1100 or 49-1101. Had them for a while.

Maybe clean out the old nest, and then give it a check up. Paul

Tubetalk1

There's no nest, just plenty of droppings... Chassis isn't too bad, but the screws that hold the chassis in on one side are totally rusted. If I could get it out I MIGHT have a chance to clean out the cabinet and chassis. I don't think it was mice that left the crap in this radio, it almost looks like from birds or other critters.

Wear a mask and gloves, wipe it out with alchohol on a rag or such. Be careful.

Paul

Tubetalk1