Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Just Picked up a 42-350 AM/FM/SW Radio today!

Hello everyone today I just picked up at a local antique mall a Philco Model 42-350 AM/FM/SW radio that is in excellent condition yet, I is going to need some work though as its going to need a restringing done with the dial, and some electrical work like capacitors and what not replaced. 

I was wondering how hard it would be to re-tune the IF/tuner on this radio so that the FM Band on this radio could pick up the Modern FM Band since it was originally set up to receive the old 42-50 MHz FM Band.

Also How scarce is this model? I saw in the Philco Library that they made this model for only a year (they didn't bring it back for the next model year or anything).

Also I paid $60 for this radio, was that a fair price or was that too much?

Thanks for any info you have.

Pics posted below.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/523/M0013523.htm   Looking at the picture at least 2 tubes have been replaced and looks like the power cord has been replaced.

The price is on the high side of fair. I haven't seen many of these, but it is not one of those sought after.
You did not overpaid much.

To disappoint you: the FM ain't going to work, as it is the old FM band. Not todays. That one appeared after mid-40s.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Yeah I knew that it was the old FM band, but I was curious as to if the radio could be modified to make it play the current FM band, if not it still has AM and SW which do work still.

Yes it can. Maybe not directly but there are simple converters using crystal oscillators that create beatings of the appropriate frequencies for the old FM out of the new FM.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

>Also How scarce is this model?
Made about 42,000 of them.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

So it's a fairly scarce unit then.

I was wondering because I was thinking maybe some sort of device like your mp3 players use in your car radios that can put out any frequency on the modern FM dial to play music on except that it puts out frequencies on the old FM frequency spectrum so that you could turn your CD player or MP3 player into a Radio station for the old FM band spread.

My turn to muddy  the water again!! What we call the old FM band is now TV channels 2-6 so before the FCC made TV stations go digital you would have been able to listen to the voice part of the different channels.  Now that is worthless info.

>I was wondering how hard it would be to re-tune the IF/tuner on this radio so that the FM Band on this radio could pick up the Modern FM Band since it was originally set up to receive the old 42-50 MHz FM Band.

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Se...946-08.pdf  Scroll down to pg 7.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Quote:>I was wondering how hard it would be to re-tune the IF/tuner on this radio so that the FM Band on this radio could pick up the Modern FM Band since it was originally set up to receive the old 42-50 MHz FM Band.

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Se...946-08.pdf  Scroll down to pg 7.

Hi Terry, I saw that post, and I think I could probably make that "converter" but the problem is where would I get the metal chassis for making this beast? Also how does this "converter" get its power from the radio's existing circuit?

Also I was curious as to whether or not something like what's pictured below could be made to transmit at the old 42-50 MHz FM Frequency Spread?

FM Transmitter for Home Use

Hi Levi,
I posted that as a sort of tongue and cheek post. It does have one design benefit that is that the oscillator is tuneable. This allows the whole FM100 band (10mc) to tuned using a FM50 set (8mc). Here's a circuit that is MUCH easier to construct. Parts wise about <$15. This doesn't include minimum order or s and h.
https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtop...?p=2998728

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry