Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Westinghouse model 1029

This is the last one I did for this summer. It is too chilly to do any refinishing  right now.
  It is a 1937 Westinghouse model 1029.   This is the third one of these I have owned.
   The grill cloth configuration is all original and quite different.

I recapped the chassis and it was working good  until I put it in the cabinet.
Then it would just quit. So I took it out and found there was a cold solder from a previous owner.
     Once it was fixed the radio plays very good.

Dan in Calgary

Attached Files Image(s)

Living in Calgary Alberta

Very good-looking console. And 4 SW bands make it an upscale model.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

The grille cloth makes you think: "What's behind the curtain? "

And look at the size of that chassis. Looks like the speaker could easily be fully enclosed. Very nicely done!

Speaking of the curtain: is this the only grill cloth or is there another behind it?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

There is nothing behind that curtain, just a speaker board, so the someone could put a hole in the speaker,
but it has not happened on any of these that I have owned.
 My model is the 1012 Y.
     The other 1029 is a model 1029 X and here is a photo of it   I also had one of these  and the chassis is the same on both radios.

Attached Files Image(s)

I suspect the other was the same at some point, and the curtain is to protect the actual cloth from cats.

I have found that on the radio with the curtain, every one of them was the same, and there was no modification
done to the cabinet.
 That is the way it came from the factory.

On the model with the wood  grill work,,it comes the way you see it,from the factory
 I have had two of those also
 Dan in Calgary.