Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pre-war, High Tube Count Table Radios

I think there were some manufacturers that took advantage of the fact that the average consumer equates number of tubes with quality and designed some sets  with an extra tube or two that really had no affect on performance. Such as I’ve seen sets that had a separate 2nd detector tube and separate 1st audio amp. Most use those two functions in one tube so in the case of the set using 2 tubes, what extra performance did it gain other than inflating the tube count? I can’t remember the model or brand now, but years ago I remember seeing a set that used an extra tube only for its filament and nothing else, again it’s just for bragging rights!

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84

I didn't even know GE built something like the FE-112 until I first saw mine. I've seen their big tombstones, but the FE-112 threw me for a loop when I saw it from two aisles over at the I76 Antique Mall in Rootstown Ohio. It was in a booth that usually has radios, but they also usually have condition issues and I did not even buy it the first time due to the replacement transformer and $150 price tag. A week later, it had a sale tag on at half that price and was too neat to pass up that time.

No matter where you go, there you are.