Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model #27-11279-1 Q967

Hi, new to this forum and collecting radios too.  I just purchased a Philco 39-6 which is in mint condition.  I haven't received it yet but anxiously waiting for it.  I also purchased a Philco #27-11279-1 Q967.  It has been checked and is in good working condition.  Obviously I want to clean it up and restore the cabinet.  Suggestions?  I do have some questions.

1. What year is it from and is the model number correct?  It's been difficult finding information on it.
2.  Should the knobs simply pull off.  I haven't tried yet but don't want to damage them.
3.  For cleaning the face I've seen different suggestions.  Please weigh in.  Is white vinegar, cotton balls, and q-tips a good starting point?
4.  Any other suggestions?   I've refinished wood and cabinetry below, but will listen to any suggestions. 

[img][Image: https://i.ibb.co/sv9wbDZ/Philco-model-27...1-Q967.jpg][/img]

The Philco model numbers used the two digit year as the first two characters then a dash beginning in about 1937 through 1954ish. After that it is a letter then a dash. I think 1955 started with a B. Your 39-6 was made in 1939. The number you gave for this radio looks like a part number, either for a label or the back, etc. I'm thinking it may be mid 50s or if the electronics is a printed circuit it would be early 60s. Take the back off and see what is stamped on the chassis.

The knobs should pull off.

This cabinet looks like the top may be stained. If so,then you can strip the top then apply about 5 layers of clear lacquer. The rest is a good candidate for Howard Restor-a-Finish.

On your 39-6 you will have to take care cleaning the dial face. Others here can tell you what to use. Philco used a water based ink on many dials, so water is a no-no. I don't have experience with this radio dial.

Hi and welcome,
On the 39-6 the best thing you can do for it is to remove the pointer and mount a thin clear piece on plastic between the pointer and the dial. It's not uncommon for the cardboard dial to warp a little and the pointer can scrape the textured foil scale up ( not pretty. Thin plastic from a blister pac works well. You can use the screws that hold the dial in place to mount it.
On your Q967 it's listed in Sam's Photofact # 867-9. I think Q works out to 1968. I'm much better on the older set!

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thank you both.