Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Newbee advise

Greetings from upstate NY
Have a small collection of tube radios.
Some bakelite, some wood and obviously different vintages.
I am ready to electrically restore some and am looking for advise.
I have the education and experience (on newer equipment) to dig-in.
In regards to components, is it advisable to purchase "kits" of capacitors, resistors and the like?
Or should I buy what I need (or think I need).
I am trying to avoid running for parts or ordering them. Am also trying to avoid buying components that I'll never use...
Kits aren't cheap but neither is trips to the store or waiting for UPS to bring me what I ordered... I figure once I get a "base" of components, the rest will work it's way out.
The first radio to "attacK" is a Philco 630 console.

Any advise is appreciated.

Tim

I would go to vacuum tubes inc. for caps tell him what you need he will send just what you need. www. vacuum tubes.com resistors go to justradios.com
This is best place on the web for all your radio advise. Ididnt know any thing about radios .A good radio man by the name of 7estatef has patents and understanding help me
rebuild a model 111. Its playing good.
denver

You can also go to Nostalgia air for schematics. YOULL BE GETTING MORE HIT FROM BETTER ADVISERS.

You may want to order in bulk. Back when I was a very active collector I would 50 or 100 of some values as you can always use them. .01, .05, .1 mfd @ 600v. For AA5 sets 50 to 80mfd @ 160v and for the AC sets 22 and 47mfd @ 450v. Just Radio out of Canada has good prices.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry