Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 71 wire wound resistor and missing cap??

Hello all. I have on my Model 71, item #52, the dual wire wound resistor with a burnt out 245 ohm section. Since it is in series with other 1/2 watt resistors, I assume it will be safe to tie in a normal carbon 1/2 watt resistor? I have rewound many oscillator and other types of coils, but am not going to try to find resistive wire and do this resistor. Also my radio appears untouched and is missing item number 55 ( I think, all of these prints are so blurry and hardly legible in the parts ID listing/diagram), 3615-G, a 0.5uF cap. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

Yes it would be safe, and I would recommend removing some of the burnt part, if possible (if not potted.)
Just make sure your power rating is adequate - see what current there is and then triple the rating vs the dissipation.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

The 3615 bakelite block has 0.05uF caps, either 1 or 2 depending on the suffix. You can easily stuff new caps into the block. There are several techniques used to do this. Search the Phorum to read about that.

Thanks Rod- The problem is that cap is missing, it appears like it was never there. I usually re-stuff all my caps especially Bakelites. Thanks.

Got ya. So I checked my. Beitman schematic for this one and I couldn't find part 55 on the parts list. Like you said the list is fuzzy. And I didn't see it on the schematic either.

.docx philco 71 id diagram.docx Size: 811.44 KB  Downloads: 107

Hello. Here is a picture from Beitman's diagrams, you will see my note for the possible number 55, I have "not there" written in. I think number 38 is used instead. I can figure it out but in the other schematic I found on Nostalgia Air's schematic they talk about changes below run number 4; how would I figure that out? Should I apply those changes or not? Thanks!!