Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco console 1930'

Hello Friends

How are you ?

Does anybody can tell me model name of this console , looking like 23X model I already have , but with extra three bars front the loud speaker

Thanks for info

cordially

Claude

Attached Files Image(s)

I do not think it is a Philco.
It looks like one of those Bosches I saw, but I doubt there are Philcos like this one.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Definitely an RCA, around 1934

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Thanks a lot for so quick reply , but for me, at first glance , the console itself seemed same my 23X , but  with extra 3 bars and on eye above the round dial , behind the two small doors !

Indeed , yes , the turn table is a RCA one  In have the same in an RCA console So, I' ll seek in RCA models and tell you if I find somethig

I wish you nice evening

I agree the style is very close. But the dial and everything. Let alone the magic eye. Not a Philco.

Looking at 1936 RCA models, this is one of them. If it is an export iog could be a tad different, but the dial is exact same and the eye above it.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Ok Morzh  but the console .....

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philco_23x.html

Yours

RCA

Looks like the outer two controls were relocated to above the dial. Interesting.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

It's an RCA as far as I can tell. There was one similar to that, complete with the small door etc, for sale up here recently ... not too expensive ... about $100 as I recall.
Sad 

Hello

Thanks to Everybody .  Icon_wink

The console is proposed ( 120 euros  ) not far from my home ( +/- 70 km ),  but due to restrictions for moving , I cannot go to see it Icon_sad

So I asked more photos to the vendor ( back of the unit , labels ? ) , but no reply for the moment ...

cordially

It could be possibly an export model so we will not necessarily find it here.

Claude,

That is indeed a 23X cabinet, but the grille bars appear to have been added. And the chassis is definitely RCA.

So, it appears to be a "Frankenradio". At least that's what it would be considered over here.

BUT...I've seen interesting export models before...possibly sold new that way, since the chassis is newer than the cabinet by a year. But there would have to be some documentation to prove so. And seeing how it was put together on the insides would help.

I doubt a factory, whether Phico or RCA would go for that.
It could be a frankenradio by some guy.

Good evening Everybody

I got photos of back side and chassis . Obviously it' s a RCA console !  You were right !  Icon_wink

But now Which model ?no indication on the label  Icon_sad

Attached Files Image(s)

Brad Winder Wrote:Claude,

That is indeed a 23X cabinet, but the grille bars appear to have been added. And the chassis is definitely RCA.

So, it appears to be a "Frankenradio". At least that's what it would be considered over here.

BUT...I've seen interesting export models before...possibly sold new that way, since the chassis is newer than the cabinet by a year.

Actually, four years Or, technically, three. The 23X is a 1932 model; the RCA T9-10 chassis is a 1936 model which was introduced summer 1935.

Otherwise I mostly agree with Brad, with the other exception of it being sold new that way. Philco hated RCA; the feeling was mutual. Most likely, Philco only used RCA's single play 78 rpm phonograph mechanisms because that was all that was available at the time (not counting Capehart record changers). It's a Philco 23X cabinet with added grille bars, and the original 23/91 chassis replaced with a modified RCA T9-10 or C9-4 chassis and new control panel cut for the RCA chassis. The modifications were done after the fact and it would not have been sold new that way.

At least I think it is a T9-10 or C9-4. The tuning eye and what I can see of the chassis layout seems to match a T9-10/C9-4.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN