Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

41-280 push button coil concern black stain

Question about my great grandmother's Philco. Since I'm still waiting on parts, I thought I would post another question. Will be more to come. Looking close at the various coils for the push button settings I see a bit of blackened or burned material along most of the coils. Is this a potential problem sign of past overheating? You all think this will eventually be aproblem? Don't really plan on using the push buttons on this rig, just want to know if this is looks like it's going to be a problem down the line. Or maybe this amount of blackening is normal. I couldn't see any breaks in the tiny wire with my glass.

Looks like I'm going to have to pull out this entire bank in order to repace a cap and check some resistors that are buried behind. Is there enough slack in the wiring to pull this asssmebly up and ut of the way to get behind it? So far I don't see any, but it's hard to see what's going on behind that mess.

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.

Nah your OK that black stuff is the stuff they used the hold the wire onto the coil form. It's no problem at all!
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Yes, you will have to remove that assembly to get to the rubber-covered wiring, capacitors and resistors buried underneath. It's not that difficult to do, however. You just have to be careful. Often you can just remove the screws holding the coils and trimmer caps to the back of the chassis, and fold the assemblies up toward the front and out of the way. Be careful not to damage any wires, however.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN