Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RCA 5T

Looks like a Stancor P6011 would be a good replacement electrically,not sure if would be a drop in. If it isn't it should close.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

vecher Wrote:I thought you had a memory like a elephant??

Not anymore, thanks to chemotherapy.

And thank you.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I'm getting one of these today myself, I would be interested in your opinions of this radio performance wise, the one I'm getting is supposed to be in really good shape (at least the cabinet anyways) as for the guts I have no idea of the working order of it as the cord (which is the original cloth cord according to the seller) is in bad shape, and of course the usual bad caps more than likely.

How does this radio compare to say a Philco 116B (which is a similar style radio from the same time period)?

Also how hard is this radio to restore (assuming that the power transformer is still good)?

Thanks,

Levi

Hi Vecher?
How did you make out with your 5T?
I have a 5T7, similar circuit, smaller speaker, Octal equivalent to the older tubes.  For example, a 6F6 has the same specs as a 42, etc. Very good performer, yours should be better with the bigger speaker.  Mine was an easy repair other than the fact that my Xformer was fried.  (Had a GE G53, similar circuit to the 5T7, definitely not made by RCA like the GEs and W-houses from the early 30s, but Xformer mounted the same way, was the same size and totally fried). Replaced all caps and the X former.  I don't have a scope or a sig generator, but this one did not seem to need it.  Take the sides off the chassis, it makes it easier to work on.  They attach by screws.  Lotza nicotine on those shields.  I have not been above hosing off a chassis after taping over socket holes, the IF Cans, etc, then taking an air gun to it, then in a warm place for several days.  The NRI course from the 40s had a section on restoring radios that were flood victims and they said that if it was under water, more is not going to hurt it.

Of course, don't get the speaker, transformer, coils, cabinet or the underside wet.  If you need to replace the transformer, just about anything from a 5tube radio that used a 42 or 6F6 as an Output Tube, that used an 80 or 5Y3 as a rectifier and whose speaker had an electromagnet of approximately 1KOhm would work.  That precludes the Philco 20 and RCA R7 Transformers mentioned in an earlier post, as they have a 2.5V main filament winding.

I agree with all of you about Cat Person.  I passed up a needed cabinet for an RCA 6BK Battery Farm Radio, cabinet very similar to the 5T, but between his ridiculous prices and the fact that he dismantles perfectly good radios bothers me. (But hey, I hate it when a junkyard crushes a car that's in better condition than what I'm driving)

Well good luck if you are still working on it, congrats if you fixed it and let me know what website that you post it on if you give up on it.

Best Regards, John "MrFixr"

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55