Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco J-1824 DW help with speakers

Hello,

I'm new here and a newbie to this type of repair all together, that said, here goes.

I picked up a Philco J-1824 DW, record player only.   

I am having trouble with one of the external speakers, I believe I can hear the tweeter, but can't hear the mid-range speaker.   I have switched the speakers right and left, and the right side always works, so it's either the wire or something with the left side of the amp I think.

Second, I think mid-woofer should be loader, you can hear/feel the bass, but with the external speakers disconnected, you can't make out much.   Maybe that is normal?

Third, the record player sometimes works and some times doesn't.  I believe its a Glaser-Steers rebranded with Philco.  It looks brand new.  When I have removed it from the cabinet to look at it, then re-installed it, it sometimes works.   When it doesn't work, the symptom is it kind of starts, the tone arm moves, then moves back, then nothing, there appears to be no power.  If I switch the input to "tuner" the power comes on and when I connect RCA jacks in the back it will play music from that input.

Any advice, direction, etc, would be greatly appreciated!   Thank you!

I have attached some photos.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi and Welcome,
https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=14094

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hello,

Thanks.  I reviewed that thread and seems he only said he found a loose wire.  I'm thinking it has something to do with small wires going to the tone arm.

Thanks,

Jim