Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Newbie Questions Model 610

I am a total newbie but I have a Philco Model 610 that was given to me and I would like to restore it.  My background is woodworking, not electronics, so I take no offence to advice given to me but you may have to bear in mind that your replies will have to take into account my ignorance in electronics. I want to do it correctly and have been reading up on what not to and what to do to restore a radio. 

I downloaded the schematic and started to make a list of caps and resistors that I would require. I have noticed some additions/deletions from my radio compared to the schematic that I would appreciate some advice on. All #’s are taken from the parts list for this model

Pic 1 shows no #24 - 400 ohm flexible resistor and no 3rd tab on the #23 bakelite block to solder it onto if it is required. There is also a 30-4145 .05 mfd cap there that’s not on the schematic.

Pic 2 shows 3 caps that aren’t on the schematic - 30-4020 .05 mfd which goes from either ground or #57 wire wound resister to #36 condenser block, a 30–4145 .01 cap which appears to go from the tone control switch either to ground or the same #57( hopefully the photo clarifies to you all as to whether that is part of #57 or ground) and a 30-4113 .02 (you can’t see it in the photo, it is hidden under the 30-4145) which goes from the same spot on the tone control switch and is soldered to a wire that goes to a pin on output tube 42. 

Pic 3 shows a 30-4020 .05 cap that again is not on the schematic. It goes from the connection for BLK antennae to the #15 condenser block. 

I realize these questions are probably basic to most people but it is confusing to me. I can solder well and have no problem replacing all the caps and resistors but I don’t know about the changes from the schematic to my radio. Should I restore it to the schematic or as it is now?

I know there were many runs of this model,  I have not plugged this in and do not know whether it works but any advice no matter how basic would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files Image(s)

You need to look at the back of the chassis or the label inside to see what revision (code) yours is. Then try to look at the schematic that is of the same code.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I found this old thread that has a link to some change info for the 610 - https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthrea...hlight=610

I just finished a Philco 620 and found differences from the schematics.  In reading other topics on the phorum, it seems it was not uncommon for Philco to make changes that weren't always documented.  If what you see looks like an original manufacturing installation, I would duplicate it with a new capacitor, resistor, etc.  However, I'm not an expert on this; just a newbie plus 5 years.

Larry, you are correct about changes made that do not always show up on the schematics. One can often find them in service notes. The Ryder manuals often have them in volumes subsequent to the original one in which the service information for the radio appeared. All the references can be found in the master index. You are right about, "If it looks like an original part, just replace it with a new one of the same marked value. That's what I do too when there is a discrepancy if I cannot find the information on a change in the service notes under changes.

Thanks for the advice, i will replace all of the existing parts as they are now and see how it goes.