Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 52-548 grille cloth

Does anyone know if this model came from the factory with installed grille cloth? Mine has none and do not see any evidence that there was any grille cloth in it. I have the maroon model. Looking at the internet pictures that are available, it looks like some may have and some didn't. Thanks, Ken

hello Ken,

I found a photo of your radio on the radio Attic Site and if you look close you can see the speaker cone .

Sincerely Rich
P.S. here is a photo!

Attached Files Image(s)

I have one of those with a Brown Bakelite cabinet and it does have grille cloth.

Thanks for taking the time for your replies. Reckon it is still a guessing game for mine until I can find out more info.Just finished putting it back together after servicing it but will pull the chassis again and have a more detailed look at it again. Can't see enough detail in the radio daze one like most pics on the internet. Sooner or later I will get this figured out.

Sometime with sets like this there is a gauze type very thin netting of sorts, probably to keep things from sliding in.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Hello Paul,
I agree and what reminds me of is that black fabric that is found under bottoms of couches .
Rich

I think your gauze idea may be correct. I have seen that type of material in other 50s radios. Usually on some sort of cardboard frame that lays between the speaker and the grill bars. What clued me to possible missing cloth was that the speaker cone seemed to be cleaner than normal with very little dust on it. Thanks for jogging my memory.

Under Couches, yes, good description.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Hello Ken,
glad to help .
sincerely Rich