Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

48-1262 capacitors and restoration

Hi Friends.  I have just started with a Philco 48-1262 and was hoping I could get a few tips as to what to do first.  From what I have seen and read, I know that I am going to have to replace all the capacitors and possibly the resistors.  There may be other components as well.  I powered my old radio up and found that some of the tubes did light up, but not all of them.  So, I unplugged it and looked inside.  Particularly, there is a capacitor (30-4518) that was burned and open.  However, I'm sure that is not the only problem.  Does anyone have a "shopping list" for the 48-1262 that I could use for everything that would be best replaced?

I also found that the bulb for the radio backlight is not working.  It looks like a simple night-light bulb, but I haven't tried one it it yet.  I have read that getting the record player going is not a viable option because the needle cartridge is obsolete.  However, I gutted the platform on mine and put a Kenwood turntable I bought in the mid 80s on it and now have it functioning and ready to put back in the cabinet.  

I'm going to see if I can get all the electronic components working and then I will work on the cabinet itself.  It has some spots where the veneer has peeled off, but hopefully, I can find something to replace it with.  

If anyone would like to "point me" in a good direction to start, I am all ears.

Thanks.

Hello mike,
First all you are correct about replacing the capacitors. there are 3 types in that radio, and you need to only worry about the Electrolytic Capacitors and the Paper Coupling capacitors and far as the resistors just worry about the ones that are off value.

Here is a small list of tools you will need to do the repairs.
1. Multimeter digital meters are so cheap and easy to find 
2. soldering iron and soldering gun 
3. solder braid and Solder sucker 
4. solder and make sure you buy solder for electronics not for plumbing.
5. Dim bulb tester very easy to build. 
6. tube tester either your own or maybe you are lucky and will find a someone that lives in your area there lots of clubs and people all over the country.

7. Schematic Diagram -  http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...013614.pdf

8 hand tools like small wire cutters and needle nose pliers  
Here is a list of clubs http://www.antiqueradio.com/clublist.html

Phil's Old Radios website has a lot of info.  See https://antiqueradio.org/FirstStepsInRestoration.htm.

RadioRich,

Thanks for your reply.  I have gone all this time thinking that no one was ever going to reply.  I thought I would get an email when someone did.
Thanks for the articles.  I've given them a "look see" and will read them more thoroughly when I have time.

As I mentioned in my first post, I am going a little over the simple AM radio restoration.  I do want it to work, but I have put in an 80's Kenwood turntable that's going to need some of "today's" components to make it operate (correctly).  The turntable is hidden in the same spot the original record player was so I will be able to keep the "nostalgia".  I have even thought about putting a hard drive in from a PC loaded with Windows Media player, but need to figure out some kind of interface (to access the playlists).

Thanks again,

Curious Mike

LarryFS,

Thanks for your reply.  I found the link quite useful, but haven't started the "investigation" yet.  See my reply to Radiorich about my longrun intentions.  

Could be pretty cool, or a total flop ... LoL.

Thanks again,

Curious Mike

Curious Mike,
To get notification that someone has replied to your post, you need to select one of the two subscribe and receive options at the bottom left of the posting page.
Good luck with your project,
Larry