Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

B&K 1077B

I've put this off for awhile, but I need to use this to find the problem on my Craftsmen. Need to track down a sync problem and hopefully this will allow me to do that. It's about like a tractor, when you need it, you got to work on it. Ok, I haven't powered it up but it looks original. I feel this will only (hopefully) need the e-caps replaced. It was built in '75 or '76, so it is one of the newest  versions. This will allow me to inject a signal into about any part of this TV I need to check.  Need to find some slides for it as it only has one with dots on it. A few pics below:

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

Hello Tv man,
I too have that unit and what I did was to make some slides .
your unit looks like it is in nice shape!
Sincerely Rich

I have one too. It's a handy piece of gear to go thru the rf and sweep circuits. Just happened upon it at a flea market abt 15yrs ago when I was tinkering with vintage tvs.
https://antiqueradio.org/BK1077BTelevisionAnalyst.htm has the scans for the slides.
Before I had it there was a lot of head scratching and guess work. Back then there was a show on called Cold Case Files and in the beginning there was a number of file folders all lined up in rows. It made a nice test pattern for setting the height,width,and linearity.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

A bag of caps just showed up. Hopefully I can get some changed and power up. I found this at a "junk store" for almost nothing and it looked so nice! I have another one from my uncle, but it isn't as clean. It still smells like his cigars! Memories... I found a manual on eBay, which helps, so ... onward  Icon_biggrin

I can have 100's of capacitors on hand, yet still lack a certain voltage, size or quantity. Got these from AES, nice big caps.

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

I got all the e caps replaced except the big can, thought I would power up slowly and see what I had.
 The good: It came to life, tube lit up and had signal to TV tuner with color bars
The bad: smoke

Yeah, its either the big can or one of the resistors underneath. I pulled the can with the intention to gut it and use the base for installing new caps on top, since it was a little crowded underneath. I chopped the top off the can and got ready to drill holes for the leads when I saw something that got my attention. Check this out:

Sure looks like a carbon/leakage path and may have been the source of my smoke. Gonna ditch this thing and put on a terminal strip to mount the new capacitators. Might want to check these bases before restuffing. Could be a source of "mystery problems". This was a Mallory can. 

The completed pcb

Attached Files Image(s)

Tim

I gave up on the re-stuff of the big cap, so got a new can on order from AES.  A few bucks, but so much easier and will look right. Probably will be using this quite a bit over the years to come. Sure wish I had one of these 1077Bs in my TV servicing days back then.

I dug out that plastic piece and found this:

Then I dug off the rubber piece and everything fell apart. To the trash can...

Tim

After 2 weeks of my can cap going back and forth across my state, it finally showed up. I got it put in, powered up and...smoke. Yup, that 220ohm 7w keeps smoking. My B+ is about right on to even slightly high, I have a screen up on the tube. The vertical is a little reduced, maybe the horizontal just a touch. Not much. So, I checked across this resistor and it is dropping 33v. That doesn't sound unreasonable to me. I've made some voltage checks around the sweep tubes and h osc. tube without really any conclusions. The minus voltage on the grid of the H out tube is -33 and it should be -55. osc output is -55 and says it should be -22. The schematic is older so it may not be exact. Most of my voltages are close. Don't know if this means much. Wonder if I have a bad resistor. Any ideas? I have a 10w I can put in.
*Edit* I tried another 10w resistor and it gets very hot also, so somethings going on...

Tim

Don't blow up the power trans, it is special. BTW, anybody got a power trans? Icon_rolleyes

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

After (I believe) chasing a ghost, I have this unit working pretty good. I think the biggest problem is our high AC line voltage. I have checked everything and verified voltages. Even dug out Uncle Max's 1077 and fired it up to find exactaly the same currents and voltages and is working fine. **I noted that his 220 ohm resistor was also replaced and that he had removed the flyback, which I'm sure was for testing. I think he was chasing the same ghost.** 

So I, I installed a 300 ohm resistor to drop the B+ a little and did my final "smoke test". After 45 minutes of running, nothing overheated. I could lay my hand on the PT without any violent withdrawl, screams or other form of sudden protest. I have checked functions and waveforms and seems everything is working as it should. Nice clean sweep waveforms, all channels clear, video and bias voltage. So, I buttoned it back up and is ready for my 1st test on the Craftsmen.

The below picture is on a small analog test TV I have. The slightly stretched vertical is in the set as Uncle Max's unit was identical. 

I found this book to have a lot of period correct and practical "how to" information on using this instrument. 

Tim