Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Investigation puzzle!!

Hi All,
     I've almost completed restoring my 37-660.  It's playing great and probably the most selective and powerful radio I have.  But the tone control is a bit touchy.  It is the on-off switch plus 3 tone positions.  The shaft is very loose fitting and wobbly, therefore it stutters when changing positions.  So I was looking at the part no. which is 42-1184.  I checked in the Philco Library and under tone control there is no listing.  But under switches that no. came up as a switch with 4 positions.  Just wondering how a radio and schematic from 1937 can have a switch from 1942?  
     I going to have another beer and think about it some more.  Anyway I still got to tear that control apart and see if I can tighten it up.  Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dick

Have 2 beers and think about it! Icon_biggrin Icon_biggrin Icon_biggrin

Paul

Tubetalk1

While the "37" in the model number for the radio does designate the model year, the "42" in the part number is the number designation for controls and switches. See Chuck's info at
https://www.philcorepairbench.com/philco...ng-system/

The first number was only the year in radios. Not in parts.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I did have a couple beers and thought about it but then Bob and Morzh straightened me out.  Then I read Chuck's article about the part nos. That was good to learn so I'm glad I asked this question. But I checked the 42-1184 in the Philco library again and in the last box of the listing it says 1942.  Maybe it's a typo or something but it sure looks like a year.
  It's not a big deal and I learned something.  I just thought it was strange.
  Thanks 

Dick

+1 Bob.
First 2 # on parts determine what type of part it is not what year it was made. That is only true for model #'s after 1936 and before 1953 or so.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry