Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What is this mess?

So I bought a Philco 90 off eBay for $95.00 and picked it up. I am now looking it over and I am lost. I think it is the early 90 with the dual 45's but the tubes in the sockets are all completely whacky...

There is a big 47, a few 27's, a few 24's, an 80 and one I cant read.

The chassis layout is the early one. The tubes in the sockets don't match the later 90 either..

Anyone?

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Looks to be in good condition for restoration.
I think you have this one.
https://philcoradio.com/library/download...l.%201.pdf

Hi Kirk

That is what is commonly known as the "mid" version 90 with single 47 output.

It looks like someone stuck a 47 (or a 46?) where a 27 should go.

Here is how the tubes should be placed in the sockets:

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you!
I could not find the info on the mid season on my phone.

Icon_smile

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

It will of course need the multi-section shield.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hello kirk,
What great Find and yes I have ran into that issue before maybe Ron knows but I bet there are not as many of the "mid" version 90 with single 47 output that were made because this only the second one that I have ever seen.
Far as the tubes I bet you you find maybe those are dude tubes .
I have bought a couple sets where they just stuck wore out old tubes just to fill the chassis when selling it.
Sincerely Rich

Has anyone ever owned and heard the last version? I read it is a push-pull that they put back in it - rare. How does it compare to the single 47? From what I've read the push pull evens out the final stage with less distortion on these.

Hello Brobertson,
I bet it does because I have a 1940s general Electric  console which uses two  6V6's in pushpull arrangement.
it really has some nice audio .

Sincerely Rich

Regarding the third version 90:

Yes, they went to push-pull 47 outputs which is nice, but they cheapened the front end by getting rid of the separate oscillator tube and adopting the "autodyne" circuit; i.e. using a single 24 as mixer and oscillator. A poor design then, an even poorer design now. Ask anyone who owns a Philco 89 or 19.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Quote:Has anyone ever owned and heard the last version? I read it is a push-pull that they put back in it - rare. 

Brobertson, I have a late version 90. It is a very good sounding radio, maybe because the speaker has been re-coned. Here you can read about the restoration   Philco 90 Restoration (philcoradio.com)      

The mid version is the most common, followed by the early version, the late version is the least common of all.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes