Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 370 chairside

Re: Is Anyone going to be restoring a model 70 soon?

Postby 7estatdef Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:29 pm
I'm new to the list and have started a resto on a Philco 370 chairside. For those who are unfamiliar it is a 70 chassis in a chairside cabinet. The front of the chaiss uses a couple of brackets and a 90 deg coupler to bring the concentric tuning and volume control up thru the top of the cabinet. Have done most of the electronics. Recapped and repaired an open ant coil. All works well. Was very interested to read about adding avc to this early model set.Seems like a worthwhile indever The cabinet needs a lot of work. Unfortunately it spent some time in a shed and the top is a bit warped and has a burn. It's in traction now being clamped to several pieces of angle iron. Also moron decided to drill two hole in the side, one for a tone control and the other for an off/on switch. (original is part of the dual gang volume made of unubtanium) Badly needs to be refinished. Some pic's are here:

[Image: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3517/40013...3ec2_z.jpg]
Philco Model 370 Chairside Radio by TBS-50, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42774321@N08/

Really have enjoy reading the posts and am looking forward to being a help here!
Terry N3GTE
near Philcocentral (Phila,Pa)

Posted this a while back. I had the set now for six months or so. As I mentioned the top was in bad shape (warped). Well it's been in the basement in traction clamped to three pieces of angle iron and it seems to be straitening out nicely. When the weather gets nicer I'll be doing the refinishing. I was surprised that it getting flatter!
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

That is great news! Hopefully it will keep its shape when you are finished clamping...

Does your lid still have its original veneer? Someone removed all of the veneer from the lid of my 370, then refinished the whole thing. It doesn't look too bad, but the four-panel "X" effect has been lost.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Yup Veneer is all there but it does have a pretty good burn in it and a little chipping on the edges. It is miss about 6 of little half round pieces of trim. But shouldn't be hard to replicate with some dowel stock. There was one up on ebay awhile back it was kinda a mess it too had the top reveneered. I was thinking about seeing if bottom half of the cabinet could be had as mine as a couple of extra holes in the side. But never did anything about it.
Tnx for the encouragement!
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Does your top have the Norman Bel Geddes tag on the inside? Happy to take of it if you can use it. While my top was in traction I make quick plywood top so I could still use the set . Decided to to put the old one back on and take her for a cruise. I think one of the best things about this chairside is after it been on for a little while you flip the top up and you get a very pleasant blast of warm air. Very nice on a day like today. Here in near Philcocentral we just got about a foot and a half snow. Also looking at the twin V arrangements of the lit filament of the 80 and 47 tubes plus the glowing cathodes of the 24A's & 27 just doing their jobs. Taking a rf wave in to something you can hear. All pretty amazing.
Terry
ps how's the work on the gallery coming?
Do you have idea on when it will be
receiving visitors again? Won't hold
you to it but am curious. You can
tell me I won't tell anyone!

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Terry

It still has part of the Bel Geddes decal, but not the whole thing. Yes, a picture of this decal would be very much appreciated. Thanks very much! I also have a 112 Bel Geddes highboy, and I think the decal is missing from it.

We only received a couple inches of snow here, wet and mushy; unlike last week's 5 inches that was dry and powdery.

Can you do me a favor? Is there any way you could measure the plate voltage of your set's power detector tube and let me know what it is? We have another thread going with a question on the second detector plate voltage. My 370 has been altered from original, so I can't do this. Thanks!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I forgot to mention: the Gallery.

I have rebuilt the pages through 1942. This has taken over a month to do, since I'm having to work on pages in between college classes.

I hope to have the Gallery back up in the next few weeks.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Mine sez 230vdc from chaiss ground to pin two. Sent pic via your email as sometimes the phorun doesn't like the size of my files. Tnx for the update on the Gallery. Will be great to have in up and running again!
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks, Terry!

Here's the discussion about Model 70 second detector plate voltage:
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=2210

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN