Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I took the pledge, broke the pledge.....

No more consoles......................well until a smallish one came along. Picked this up from a fellow radio club officer, really nice shape and restored. He needed more room, now I need more room. I like the dial and the 3 spars over the speaker reminiscent of those Arvin Rythym series, or am I high?
Eight tubes and a nice speaker, has a fine tuning pull option on tuner. So a lttle gift for Dad. Current console count in house is 2, 1 in garage.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92577012@N...7282902762

Paul

Tubetalk1

I'm working on a Scott 800-B right now. Nice cabinet, nice chrome, REALLY NICE radio and amp. It doesn't have the stock phono - Webcor 60. I have several choices but I don't think I want to limit this system to 78's only.

Oh - also, no place to put it.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Where does it go?

Paul

Tubetalk1

Russ, I have an 800B waiting in the wings. Fairly bad shape and no cabinet. Are you going to do a blog post on your progress? I'd like to see what your experience is! I may just want it to replace my 16A in the shop. I would like the quick tuning.

Nice Silvertone Paul Icon_thumbup

The grille bars do resemble those on the Arvin Rhythm series. Oh, I think you're among many here who have broken similar pledges Icon_redface

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

I like that console, especially the dial. The cabinet is also in very nice condition.
 You must have more room because have more. Because I have  11 consoles in the house and 13 in the garage.
 Dan in Calgary

Living in Calgary Alberta

Thanks Dan, I feel a bit better now. I can fit nine more in the house!Icon_smile.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Paul, "where does it go?"

That is the question.

I am down to a couple of possibilities: Add on to the museum, a strong possibility after SARS CoV II goes away, or, selling it and a bunch of other radios/audio/boat anchors (likely in any scenario - after - - you know).

There is also the 29-tube Meissner console. It is much more rare. It looks good setting back by the tractor - -for a while. I do have a blog post coming up for this one and the Collins R390 and the Hammerlund SP600 and the Crosley Clipper and - -

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Oh yes where.....the hosue is a bit messy anyhow tree going up and all kinds things being moved about.

Really this one may be it.

Paul

Tubetalk1

This isn't ARF. You can say Coronavirus, COVID-19, Rona, etc. here. Icon_smile As long as it isn't politicized.

On-topic tidbit: I likewise took the pledge, then broke it when a friend brought over a Philco 87 and left it here.
https://ronsradios.com/2020/10/28/anothe...7-highboy/

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Now the Philco 45L I have in living room, not really console is it? Cuz then I got 3 in the house......is a high or lowboy really a console? I guess....... Paul.

Tubetalk1

Nice Silvertone there and the early version just like mine. The later version swapped a 6A8 for the 41 and 6D6 and dropped to 7 tubes. It also went to a more standard clicker type tone control and MG style tubes. My 1965 is the first 'big' console I ever bought and the Tombstone I got this year has the late style chassis in it.

No matter where you go, there you are.

I believe the 6F6 is the output in the 1965. It does well given the speaker. I have an RCA table model with a 6F6 output that is a loud set.

The thing was built by Colonial. The Schematis sez feel free to order parts directly from Colonial odd as usually they always say Sears.

Paul

Tubetalk1

The push-pull 6F6s in my 1965 give plenty of sound. Same for the tombstone version, though smaller speaker. Actually the early tombstone version used the same speaker as the console.

No matter where you go, there you are.

I lost count, but I would guess 15 at least.
Regards
Arran