Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Restoring a Philco 39-45
Photo 

Hi experts,

I have a Philco 39-45 that was given to me. The cabinet is in excellent shape but I'd like to get the radio working. 7 of the 9 tubes still have covers on them but I wasn't able to try the thing out because the AC plug had been cut from the power cord. Rather than risk a blowout, I thought I'd have an expert give it a check-up. Is there anyone in the Southern California area who would able to help? I live in Thousand Oaks, in Ventura County. Thanks. (photos attached)

P.S. I ordered a set of push buttons for the front but am still in need of the little red pilot lamp.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi and welcome,

Can't help you with the service aspect but can tell you a few of the
issues you maybe facing.

In 1939 thru 1942 Philco radios used
rubber coat wire. This was fine for the 1st 15 or 20yrs but after that
the rubber starts to fail. Some rewiring maybe necessary.

Electrolytic and foil/paper capacitors should be replaced for safe
operation and good performance. Not doing so can cause damage
to major components$$

The two end tubes don't require shields, some of the others don't
need them.

The 39-45 is fine sounding set when serviced properly. I have a
similar set from 1941 (41-300) it's one of my favorites.

GL on your quest for service.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

The cabinet looks pretty good, other then the grille cloth near the bottom, I believe you can get that pattern again. I would have to check but I think that the 39-45 was the largest of the non mystery control U.S models for the 1939 model year. I think these had a tuned RF amplifier stage, the next year Philco went all in for the dual IF amplifier trick like car radios, and transistor radios used, more gain, slightly less selective, but definitely a cheaper design. The other differences are that they use G style tubes, later models used loctal tubes, hence the tube shields, and they used rubber/gutta percha covered wire on the power transformer. Another common failure in these sets are the audio output transformers, AES has generic replacements, or you can try fleabay, or finding a used one on some other set.
Regards
Arran

Much of your radio jargon went over my head. I've never done restoration and don't want to start on such a complex item. I'm looking for someone who would enjoy going through it and seeing if it can be made operational.

http://www.antiqueradios.org/local_repair.html

Scroll down this list and see if anyone is located nearby. I'm sure someone will take on the project, at a cost of course.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org