Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 90 signatures

I found these signatures on this cathedral chassis.  I recently picked up the radio and started the restoration.  I have never run across this.  Is it the guys who built the radio?  Or is it the guys who repaired it in 1933?  It seems to me to be the former.  If so, is this common amongst Philcos of this era?  Curious anyway.  The radio is a mid production version.

First post in this forum!  I have worked on many Philcos over the years.....finally joined this group....better late than never..... Icon_biggrin  I have also enjoyed some of the technical discussions.   Great site and TNX.

Peter

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome to the Phorum Peter!

Very cool. To me it sure looks like a note from a repair person. I read it as "Replaced tubes. July 17, 1933"

Thats it!  I thought that was a strange signature...the top one. Icon_eek Icon_eek Icon_eek

Repairperson.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

I have found writing and notations on several of my sets over the years. Usually a note or a name, related to a previous service. I like seeing full names of previous owners. It adds to the history. Icon_smile

Our Strat has 2 signatures on the bracket that holds the dial:

I preserved both of the names which was difficult due to the level of restoration required.

I have found several other examples on less notable radios, though some may have been added by owners or techs.

The example below is the one I find most interesting. The radio was signed by the designer of the XB-70 Valkyrie bomber and the B-1B Lancer. Be sure not to miss the notes at the bottom of the post:

https://www.russoldradios.com/blog/1929-...-shortwave

Picture by:Bob Seidemann
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles...-machines/

Note the signature on the B1-B plans (above).

Russ

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

I restored a Zenith awhile ago that had an assembly line flirt written in pencil inside the wood cabinet. It said "Hi Ceil, how's it going? "

I've had a few names and initials on chassises and tried to save them as well but I'm working on a Silvertone 1390 Grandfather clock radio.  Under the chassis was this solid copper plate I'm assuming used as a heat sink.  It was full of fingerprints which I thought was pretty unique and cool.  Who's fingerprints are these and when were they left??

I'm going to leave them for the forensic people if this radio kills me.  I hope they blame it on the ghosts!

Dick

Dick, you can add your own to the mix.

I think I will and date and initial them.

Dick

It's kinda neat, dealing with all that.
Gets one to feel the connection to things that happen 90 years ago.
If that radio works another 90 years, that will be to those people like ..well....close to American revolution for us.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

If you know someone who is a LEO ask if the local department can scan the prints and run them. Long shot but if anyone had a security clearance in the past there prints will still be on file and is now digital will only take a hour or two to get a answer. Nice find David

I have seen that on a few sets over the years. My 38-116 has a name and phone number, but I have been unable to trace it.

Tim KA3JRT