Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco model 70?

I recently purchased a model 70, or what I thought was a 70. This is the earlier type with the dual volume control. What is different is that the tone switch is mounted on the back of the chassis and there is a two position band switch in the front. There are 10 wires on the switch and it is a two position. Is this a different model, or a modified model 70? The cabinet looks like a 70 model. I have restored several model 70 Philcos and I have never seen one like this.

Attached Files Image(s)

The sw on the back looks to the tone control. And up front is some sort of switching for the oscillator circuit.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

It has to be a home-brew added band thing.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Could it possibly be a 70 chassis made to pair with the model 4 SW converter? I'm assuming the 70s and 90s that came with the SW converter built into the same cabinet would have a few differences in the chassis?

Hello Gentlemen,
wow that is a odd duck!
Sincerely Rich

Hi everyone. Thanks for your responses. I decided to check for shorts B+ to ground and center tap. All ok. I brought it up slow on the variac. I wanted to see if it had standard broadcast. One of the positions is broadcast. The radio needs a good recap and going through. I didn't find any thing on the other position of that band switch. The radio played poorly, no suprise there. I did this because I didn't want to restore it and then find out it had been changed to long wave or something else. I will get this set fixed and then I can see what is on the other band, if anything.
Mike