Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38-116 Input Transformer

I've had a Philco 38-116 sitting around for a long time waiting for attention. I pulled the chassis out today, and on a lark decided to test the audio input transformer before setting out to begin recapping it. Lo and behold, the primary side is open. The transformer is very unique having two separate secondary windings; I presume there is nothing like it available out there by Hammond. Has anyone contended with this problem,and how did you solve it?

Thanks, Mike Schwartzman

Mike, try Gary Schneider at Play Things of Past. I think thats a common failure because my driver transformer also had an open primary and my spare chassis has an ill fitting replacement. But PTOP solved my problem with an exact used Philco x'former. My 38-116 is very sensitive and selective; only problem left is poor oscillation at lo end of BC band. Pulling the RF subchassis is interesting but performance of the radio justifies the effort. Good luck.
Curt

That's a good idea. I also see that Radio Daze carries a transformer which is a double winding secondary, the HX-124E by Hammond. Electrically it looks equivalent, but the size is a little too wide to fit in the exact space of the original. Well, I'll get re capping anyway. Looks like there's a way to get around the issue.