Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

National NC-125

Nice restoration, Mike. That BAMA schematic would have me reaching for a bourbon bottle in no time at all! Take care, and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

The comment about putting arrows prompted me to do some experimenting using MS Paint. While I may not be able to do arrows, I have figured out how to do ovals, so, in the future I will edit the photos with circles around items of interest. With more practice, who knows, I may even figure out how to do arrows.

I just made a follow up to my video on the restoration of my National NC-125. This one is a live action demonstration of the receiver. Here is a link to the video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J3fWjdvwqI&t=19s

Nice Job, nothing like seeing it in action.

Paul

Tubetalk1

I know that the last comment in the was several months ago, but Nice job Mike!! I have an old National from the (early?) 30 buried in my garage (archeological site). Do not know the model, has plug in coils, a log scale, and is missing the external power supply. I don't believe that it is a Thrill Box. I found it in the Town of Huntington Landfill as a kid. Amazing quality on yours, considering that National started out as a toy company.

On the retirement bucket list, along with Grandma's DuMont RA113, an RCA 721 (not a Vassos), Mom In Law's RCA CTC24 (last of the Roundies) and a 64 Lincoln Continental 4 Door Convertible (among other things).

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Thanks for the kind words, MrFixr55. That National has turned out to be a GREAT receiver. It takes some practice and trial and error to be able to tune in SSB voice using the CWO, but it can be done. I primarily use it for shortwave listening. The "Select-o-jet" circuitry does help with selectivity almost as well as a crystal filter, surprisingly; again, once you get used to using it. I was more used to using crystal filters from my Hammarlunds and the Q multiplier on my Lafayette. If I have my 'druthers" I'll take the crystal filter. Yes, as far as quality, back in the 1950s National was right up there in the second tier after Hammarlund, and, IMHO, a little better than Hallicrafters. You certainly have a nice collection of projects to keep you amused. Keep us informed of how you progress with them.

I have re capped my NC125.  Does the Signal Strength Meter NOT work when switched to CWO?  That is what I am seeing as I work on my unit.  Thanks.

I suspect that it doesn't. Older sets w/o a product detector the bfo would cause the S meter to read the signal level of bfo rather than the level of the incoming signal.
Some sets when the bfo is turned on the S meter is turned off.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry