Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Paper Capacitors Replacement

Arran

I have been using Mouser for....30 years.
And, no, you do not have to include lead length when shopping for axials.
The radials - yes, they could be leadformed.
Not axials.
And, even if yes and in doubts - the part there almost always has link to the datasheet where you could see everything based on pat number including the lead length, if applicable.

To me personally, Mouser is THE LEAST trickiest of all the places I've been using, and I use Digikey for almost as long, Newark and Allied. Plus some others that I use less.

PS> I am not advocating not using Sal, I am just saying, if you need the caps soon - Mouser is an excellent choice, and then once Sal is back in operation, you could keep ordering from him.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Just an example of using Mouser:

Let's find an axial 10nF 630V one.
From the Mouser.com page go to "PASSIVE"

Then choose "Capacitors".
Without even specifying the type roll down to the search parameters. Use slider to go to the "Capacitance" column.
Click anywhere in it. Type quick (it allows time between keystrokes but it has to be reasonably fast or else it will think you are typing another value) "0.01 u". The "space" has to be there.
It will take you right to the 0.01 uF value.

Then move to Voltage Rating DC column and pick 600 VDC. Also in "Termination Style" pick "Axial"

Then press "Apply Filters" button.

You will have the list of the available caps.

The cheapest, $0.59 apiece in qty 10 is this
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cor...qUd%2FQ%3D
598-103MWR630K

The datasheet also says that the minimum lead length is 35mm (1.4")

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Arran, amen about rubber covered wire ! Not just on Philcos either, RCA used it in the late 30s and 40s too. You basically have to re-wire the whole darned set !

Just my 2 cents worth but I’ve looked at Mouser a couple of times and it seemed to me to be unnecessarily complicated and involved to find what you need, so many steps to do. Justradios.com or Sals is easy peasy to find what most of us doing antique radios usually need! Now if you need components for modern electronics, Mouser will probably be a better source.

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84

Mouser is a catalog with a few hundreds of thousands of components.
It requires a more sophisticated engine to search.
Just the capacitors are 16 basic types, and then categories and variation.

A website selling caps for hobbyists like us needs pretty much one voltage rating and one type of axials and then some electrolytics. It does not require any search engine whatsoever. A list will do.

And yes, Mouser sells more expensive parts. We rely on Sal's experience to sell us something that he found that is good enough but not a brand. Mouser simply cannot do that (although they do sell Lelon, but then it is a brand. An accursed one at that but nevertheless Icon_lol )

+1 Ron

I was looking a a rather simple part put in the values and went down the list of "filters" and applied them and came up with like 5000 hits! 4950 had NOTHING to do with what I was looking for. It was like looking for 6" speaker cones on epay. Life is short forget them. Too many other sources that easier to order from and less expensive.

Have used the place up in CA before many yrs ago. I think with them you had the print their order form fill it out and mail it to them. They in return would give you a total and ship if all was amenable. The only reason I used them at the time was I need some 6000v caps for a electrostatic deflection TV set I was working on and they were the only source granted this was maybe 20yrs ago or more.

For the last number of years I've been using Sal and have been very happy! In some instances he's not the fastest, might take a week or so to get your product but have never had any mix ups or problems. I generally order in lots 25 to 50 pcs per value so it helps me keep a better eye on what I'm getting low on and can put it on the order list. 

I'm not in a hurry as I don't do service work for customers generally so a week is not that a big deal to get a set done. Not under the gun as some are. Do sell sets on occasion so I don't have to keep tripping over them.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Just sent in my order to Sal. He didn't get my emails so I tried another email that was on his site and he was able to get it.

Does anyone know where to get the replica labels? [Image: https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=1022...2662265539]https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=1022...2662265539

There used to be scans of the labels somewhere on the Philco website. Things have been moved around, so I'm not sure where they are now.
I'll keep looking. Until then, here's a helpful link from the Philco Library.

DIY Labels

EDIT: Here it is.

1941 Station tabs

Blessings,
Jeff W.
Jonesboro, Arkansas

http://jeffsradios.weebly.com

God loves you as you are, not as you should be, because none of us are as we should be. - Brennan Manning

I looked around for them and couldn't find them. Where were they?
They used to be in downloadable files but a lot of that data has been
shifted over to the Library. Sometime I have trouble figuring out what
category certain items have been listed under.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Give Chick Paci a call or an email. He makes good labels.