Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

help id this philco

ok i have a philco 95 or so i believe it to be but if i am correct the 95 use two 45's this chassis has two 47's four 27's four 24's and one 80
help

Sounds like a model 112 serial #174001 and higher.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

here are some pics i would agree but what about the 47s i found unless some put the wrong tubes in this that shows' 42s,44,and 37s

Attached Files Image(s)

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...013118.pdf

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I think you are right

I try really I do....

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

looks like there is also a 112x

It looks like a late 20s highboy cabinet, like a model 95 would use, with a 1931-33 pan type chassis, either a 111 or 112.
Regards
Arran

Terry is correct, as is Arran - it is a late version 112 chassis. Notice the NORMAL - MAX. toggle switch on top of the chassis; only 112 chassis have this. Plus the five pin output tube sockets indicating 47 output tubes. Someone put that chassis in a 1929 Philco highboy cabinet. The chassis are the same size and have the same control shaft spacing so the 112 fits that cabinet without modifications.

It looks like whoever made the change installed a matching speaker from a 112, adding the risers from the original speaker.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

As much as it isn't the correct chassis for the cabinet, the 112 chassis is a "better" unit than the 87 (I believe) that should be in that cabinet, because it is a Superheterodyne design, with automatic volume control.

Unless you are an absolute purist, I'd restore the chassis and leave it in that cabinet. If you find the correct chassis later, it's easy to change. And it gives the poor chassis a warm home during this cold Covid winter.

thank you ron

and thank you brad

I don't know, if you happened to find a model 95 chassis they were housed in the highboy cabinets as well, the performance between a screen grid TRF with push pull #45s, and a superhet with push-pull #47s is not going to be that noticeable, the audio quality may even be better with the prior. I can't remember if it was the model 95, or the 96, but at least the latter had an automatic volume control, which prevents being blasted on strong stations, which is the main complaint most people have about TRF sets. The only real advantage of the 112 is it's more selective, and the dial has better tracking then a TRF, but the sensitivity won't be any better, I'm not sure if the 112 covers the upper end of the B.C band or not. I'm not sure about the 112 chassis but Philco used to like running with triode connected #47s to reduce distortion, which #47s are notorious for.
Regards
Arran

Good point - a model 95 chassis would be more "period correct" in that cabinet.

Both models 95 and 96 have AVC, as do models 111 and 112.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN