Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is this a variant of a Philco?

This amp is from a theater in Neillsville, WI. It has Philco caps and transformers. Nothing I can find at the Radio Museum. If any one could hep I'd appreciate it. Thank you, Curt

Attached Files Image(s)

I moved this over to the vintage hi-fi section since its an amplifier. I don't believe its a Philco even though there are Philco caps in it but others may know more about it.

Philco did buy a controlling interest in Simplex in 1937:

"In 1924, Harry Maibohm, founder of the Maibohm Motors Company, opened the Simplex Radio Company on the northeast corner of King and West Monroe in Sandusky, Ohio. Philco, one of the nation's largest radio companies, bought a controlling interest in the Simplex company in 1937. The company and its 77 employees moved to the remodeled Maibohm auto plant at 3130 West Monroe Street. Philco completed its purchase of the Simplex Company in 1944, and the plant took the Philco name in 1948. Under this new leadership, the plant started to produce new kinds of radios, based on a 4-tube design, for cars and boats, and small cabinet sets for home use.

In early 1940, the company began working on orders for various communication devices for the federal government. The plant made electronics equipment for the Army Air Corps like the SCR-535 radar, which helped to distinguish friendly planes from enemy aircraft. After World War II, the company expanded its product lines beyond radio equipment.

In early 1949, Philco began new construction on the plant, adding an east section for the building of television sets. By 1951, television production was curtailed, but auto radio production continued. When the Philco Corporation moved its operations to Philadelphia in 1961, the Monroe Street plant became a warehouse. The Air Reduction Company purchased the warehouse building in 1964.

During its operation in Sandusky, Philco produced a local newsletter, which kept subscribers apprised of intra-company happenings and the latest features of new product lines."

I can't date your amp and have no idea what relationship Simplex had with the General Electronics Co. in Neillsville, WI.  I'll leave that research to someone else.

Philco/Simplex from this source:

https://snaccooperative.org/ark:/99166/w62w7hns

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Hello Curt,
what great find and Eliot Ness thank you for all the great background info. on Simplex and Philco's connection to it.
Sincerely Rich