Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 41-285

I'm new here, and I'm looking forward to picking the minds of you experienced restorers. Here's my first question for you.

I am starting the restoration on a Philco 41-285. The faceplate is in bad shape, but I found where to get a reproduction for it. My problem is the brass Bass/Volume/Bands/Tuning strip on the escutcheon. Mine is rippled like a sine wave, dented, and otherwise ugly.  Does anyone know where I can find a repro of this strip?

Your help is greatly appreciated. I spent a career in electronics, but all in digital. These old radios aren't work, they're fun, and I'd love to continue doing it. 

Thanks

Tom

Welcome to the Phorum! Icon_wave

I don't recall seeing any reproductions of that piece recently. Radiodaze used to make I think but that was some 13 or 14 years ago and I do not see it in their product lineup. It might be worth an email to them anyway since they may still have the mold (it was a plastic reproduction). If you do a search of the Phorum threads using "brass strip" (include the quotes so it searches as a phrase) you will see a few threads discussing the strip. For eg.
https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthrea...s+strip%22

You may have to try and resurrect your existing strip or find a donor one from another chassis. Put a "wanted ad" in the Phorum and maybe someone might have one in the junk box.

Thanks Bob.