Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Scott SLRM

That's a fine looking receiver Mike Icon_thumbup

Sorry the electrolytic cans didn't work out exactly as you planned, but the three you used look fine.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Just a quick update tonight. I sprayed all the switch contacts and worked them back and forth a lot last night, then let them sit and dry. Tonight the radio really came alive and is working very well. So far I have just used my 10 feet of wire strung up around my work bench as a test antenna. As you read above, I replaced the special old style U.S. Navy antenna connector with a modern SO-239. I am just using it as a connector, NOT with coax and a balanced feed line. So far I am just using the center post of the PL-259 to connect the antenna. I will make a small label explaining the situation and affix it to the back of the chassis beside the plug after I put the radio back in its steel cabinet. With just that antenna I was able to pick up stations all over the standard broadcast AM dial, WSM in Nashville comes in very clear, as do stations WRVA Richmond, VA, and WLW from Cincinnati, OH, just to name a few of MANY. The reception rivals any of the "communications receivers" I have recently refurbished. I did not do any alignment at all, just replaced the input "death caps" and the filter electrolytics, and changed the antenna connector. On the next band up I was able to get CHU Canada at 3.33 MC clearly as well as the top of the AM broadcast band below that, and some shortwave stations above it. Between there are Ham bands and I get a lot of RF hash from the high tension lines at those frequencies. On the next band I was able to get WWV at 5 MC, which I almost NEVER pick up with that wimpy indoor antenna, but it came in very intelligibly with moderate fading. On the highest band I was able to receive WWV at 10 MC as well as several shortwave stations. I can't imagine what it will do hooked to my outdoor antenna! From what I have seen so far, this receiver rivals or excels the National NC-125, and the Lafayette HE-30, which is a pretty tall order. I haven't tried out the CWO on the ham bands yet. I'll wait until I connect it to a better antenna, but that should be pretty interesting too. If it is at all like the National or lafayette it will take some playing with to master that.