Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco model 80B

I was perusing an article from Radio Retailing 11/32 posted at  http://www.tuberadioland.com/philco80Jnr_main.html
It seems that Philco started a little kerfuffle by selling the lowest priced set in the market under the guys of it being a come on to get a prospective buyer in the store. Accusations of starting a price war...

I question I have is I'm curious about what sort the profit margin there was in these sets? Sounds like they were good sellers.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Well, it's been writeen in may a place that Philco tried to use the 80jr to get people to get in the store.
At the then price (forgot....$19) I think Philco probably did not have any margin on it. It is almost like a sales sample.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hello Terry ,
I heard the same thing that Morzh heard for sure just like crosley they had some good sets for a real cheap price to bring people in .

I'm not so sure, I've heard this rumor before but if the model 80s really were a loss leader I think that Philco would have discontinued them, even if they were a best seller, instead they kept building them, and came up with successor models like the model 81, 82, and 84. The ad they link to is for some dealer featuring the 1933 models, included in the offerings is a model 81, so they offered a two day special on the model 80B, at $14.95, probably to clear out an overstock since at the old price they probably would have bought the model 81Bs instead since they were also priced at $18.75. The interesting part is they also feature a model 52L console in the same ad, $29.95.
Regards
Arran