Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 60 stain color

45philcodon Wrote:Please explain your comment regarding polyurethane. Why would this be a problem if I plan to totally strip the cabinet?

Please read the link Russ provided just above to his blog (post #15, first page, this thread). Russ is an expert cabinet refinisher as well as a great restorer overall and he knows what he is talking about. As he says, removal of polyurethane is a really slow pain. Icon_thumbdown And it requires MEK strippers which have been mostly pulled off the market because of idiots who were stripping indoors and killing themselves with the resulting noxious fumes.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I heard that the German sets often used polyester resin, kind of like fiberglass gel coat . In any event I think it's catalyzed, whatever the stuff is,  and hard to get off. I wonder if scuffing up the surface of either would make it easier to strip off, with something like steel wool or a finer grit of sandpaper, that trick works on stripping off powder coating that has gone bad.
Regards
Arran

There was a product that I used fifteen years ago that would strip anything, including polyurethane products. It was bio-degradeable, water soluble, essentially odorless and could be left to dry on a surface, then wetted and reactivated without damage. Sounds too good to be true? It was EXPENSIVE, but it worked ...

It was called Multi-Strip-Pro and came from a company called "Back To Nature". I don't know if its still available in the USA. It appears NOT to be in Canada :

https://www.sunnysidecorp.com/products.php?p=r