Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Kennedy Cathedral Radio Identification

The three cans under the chassis are probably RF coils, the filter caps would be in the cardboard box mounted on the side. Nice work George, your reproduction paper caps are very good, even down to the shade of green. 
Regards
Arran

Bill,

The 3 large cans in the center of the photo are RF Coils.  You should not have to mess with those, unless one or more of them is open and that is unlikely.  I would recap and change resistors that are out of tolerance and then see if the radio works, before messing with those coils.  You could check them also with a meter to see if they are ok, but you would probably have to disconnect them to get an accurate reading.  

The brown fiber board box on the left contained the electrolytic capacitors.  They were in a block of tar and it was impossible to get that apart as well so I duplicated the box and inserted the 2-8 mfd capacitors inside, covered it in wax, and it looks pretty much like the original.  You could always remove the box and mount the two lytics on a terminal strip and that should work OK.  

We may be talking about different radios, as mine has no capacitors above the chassis. and mine has no tone control rheostat that i am aware of.  Send me a picture and i will see if I can identify.  

George

So this is interesting if you dont have this.  That is a .2 cap.
And thank you for the other information...all this helps esp w/o a schematic.

Thanks

Bill

Attached Files Image(s)

Bill,

That is interesting.  Apparently a modification by a previous user.  Looks like a bit of repair on the cabinet as well.  Looks great!
 I would be interested what the front of the radio looks like.  Good luck on the recap.  Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.  

George.

Arran,

Thanks for the feedback regarding the capacitors.  It was an interesting project.  Half the fun of these restorations is the diagnosis and problem solving that goes into it.  
I found some old file hangers in the file cabinet that were the right color and thickness.  Wrapped them around a plastic tube with a modern film capacitor inside, loaded it up with hot glue and painted the ends and I was good to go!  The best part was the radio worked when I was finished!

Regards,

George.

I noticed my front is different than yours as well. so perhaps a modification to the design mid run...i dont know.  As you can see my case is in great shape,  Very lucky to find it...in a coin shop of all places.

Bill

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks great Bill!  Lots better shape than mine.  Should require little to no cabinet work.
Hope the electronic restoration goes well.

George.

Hello Bill,
Very Nice radio !

Sincerely Richard

I think that Bill's "Kennedy" cathedral might have a chassis with a superheterodyne circuit, there appears to be two round IF cans on top of the chassis. I would guess that it is either a later model or, if from the same year, was a higher end model, unless I missed seeing the cans on George's chassis? By 1932 there were not too many makes or models that were not using the Superhet circuit, or an Autodyne, the TRF was relegated to really cheap sets by that point after the courts ruled against RCA.
Regards
Arran