Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 43 - Filter Choke

Ok so do you have high voltage on pin 2 and on pin 3 of the 42 tube?

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

When I connect the signal generator to the 1st detector I have tone at the speakers.  But still not receiving  any stations. Any suggestions ??

When I connect the signal generator to the 1st detector I have tone at the speaker, but still not receiving any stations. thoughts??

The voltage on pin 2 is 297V and on pin 3 it was 334V.  I also attached a sheet of the voltages that I'm reading
.pdf Scan_0008.pdf Size: 653.53 KB  Downloads: 117

Ok so thing are looking good around the output stage. The 44 1st audio looks like it sez 4.2v on the plate. Kinda low. Have a look @ 57-60 to see those are in tolerance. One down here wound make both the plate and sg voltages low. And #62 &64 would just effect the plate voltage. Once this is sorted you should able to touch the cap on the 44 and the speaker should buzz like crazy.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Terry

Methinks it sez 42V on the 1st Audio P to K.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Checked 57-60 as well as 62 & 64 all were in tolerance. I looked like 58 was possibly grounded. Power up the unit and when I touch the grid cap the radio would squeal then buzz. But after the radio was on for a few minutes it would go to a low buzz. I noticed that item 60 was real hot and measured the resistance at .860M. So what is causing the resistor (#60) to heat up

860 kOHm or 860 Ohm?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

860,000  ohms   after it cooled it when down to 28,000K  I order new 3 watt resistors last night.

Thanks for sticking with me on this.  I hate to give up on this unit since i have never seen one anywhere on line. Plus the cabinet restoration looks great.  So a have a great looking cabinet but no radio.  The unit has signs of life can't give up.

A resistor of this value would stay STONE COLD. No matter what you apply to it.
If it is the same body with other resistors then yes, others can heat up and make this one hot, if separate - it can NOT be 860 kOhms and be even slightly warm if not heated by someone else.

The 13K resistor was replaced with the correct 3W's All the voltages appear to be within range. When i go up and down the dial I get a low to high tone around around 800 and 1000 on the dial. Regardless if the antenna is connected or not it sounds the same. Thoughts

I would take a clip lead and connect one end to the chassis and while the set misbehaving. Touch the grid caps of the 39/44's one at a time in the mixer and IF stages with the other end. Should be able to isolate which stage is oscillating when the noise stops.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry