Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cracked veneer, any easy fix?

I have a 37-9 than has a very nice band of veneer that comes around from the sides to the front of the cabinet, and the veneer is cracked across the grain. It's almost as if the veneer was not steamed enough when it was put on, and it cracked across the grain.

The curvature of thte side to front of the radio is a very simple approx 2 inch radius or so, and I think that I can steam it pad band clamp it back, but I am not sure of the glue that is holding it.

Is the veneer put on with hide glue? That would seem pretty high brow at first blush, but then I remembered that hide glue is very quick to cure for a fast production rate, and is very strong.

Problem is, if it's hide glue, then when I try to steam this small area, the rest of the veneer around it will just peel off like old wallpaper, and most of it is in really nice shape.

Any hints on how to get this problem area smoothed out? I can post pictures (I think) if the problem is not clear.

Thanks and regards,
Kurt

Here is a couple of pictures of one side that is affected. The other side has the same condition.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Kurt[attachment=0][attachment=1]

I'm no cabinet expert - in fact cabinet restoration is my least favorite part of radio restoration - but I would say the wood is drying out and that bent veneer is trying to bend back out; not being able to, it just cracks.

I'm not aware of any easy fixes. I've seen many cabinets with this issue, especially 37-116 sets.

Assuming you're going to refinish the cabinet, I think I would carefully sand those cracked areas, use filler sparingly as needed, then refinish in lacquer. Once the lacquer fully cures (give it a few to several months), clean it occasionally with something good for it such as Howard's Orange Oil (available in many antique shops). Do not use Pledge or any modern furniture polishes containing silicone!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron,

I have worked on solid wood furniture and guitars for many years. This is my first major veneer project.

Modern waxes have been banned in my house for as long as I have been here. (they bring them home, I throw them away, pretty soon they get the message).

Thanks again and I will post progress reports when I get this thing moving, both electrically and cabinet wise.

Kurt

I am not an expert woodworker either, but I have had some luck by hydrating the cabinet, as in put in a closed plastic bag with some water in the bottom for a day or two. I generally strip the whole cabinet first if it' really bad. Then, gently guide the split veneer back in place with a slightly diluted elmer's glue, and hold everything in place with some masking tape.

Ironing out separating veneer with steam to re-attach to the base wood with animal glue is a whole other game. I'm 0 for 3 on this one. Worst thing about this is I no longer have a fireplace to properly incinerate my failures.

After the the thing dries out, very gently remove the masking tape, an delictely sand the affected area. As was suggested, add wood filler as needed. If there is a gash which has turned black, you could try a little peroxide or bleach on a tiny brush to get a neutral color. Again you can touch this up with a little oil based paint. Allow a few days between each "operation" for everything to settle in.

The tinted laquer will cover a multitude of sins. A scratch or two on a very old radio that has been otherwise professionally been restored is not uncommon at all.