Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The (other) "P" word

Guys,
Picked up a 38-610. Nice condition but...
Someone put polyurethane on it Icon_evil

I see there are some poly strippers (chemical) out there and will probably approach this direction.
Thought I would see if anyone has good, bad or ugly experience with poly removal.
Looking for feedback.
Thanks

I use stripper alot . I build for a living . Put stripper on let it set until it bubbels good . Then take a putty knife go with grain scrape it off.
On trim and moulding i use course steel wool . Be careful on veneer stripper will get under it if its loose any where.
Some people will just sand after they strip i like to rinse all with paint thinner ,then sand .
Then apply sanding sealer , stain then top coat . Let dry steel wool ,wipe down .Apply another coat , steel wool again ,coat again slick as glass.
OH fine steel wool . MAKE SURE YOU WEAR RUBBER GLOVES EYE PROTECTION WELL VENTILATED AREA Icon_exclaim
Denver.

Thanks Denver
Strip without getting paid to...hmmm
I'll try it! Icon_redface

So what do you think about Scotch Bright pads vs Steel wool? Doesn't leave small wires in the cracks and crevices.
Thoughts?
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Save old tooth brushes when you change them (and you should every 6 months.) If you must resort to steel wool, use a magnet (salvage this from a wrecked speaker) to pick up the debris.

FWIW, I much prefer the Scotchbrite pads over steel wool.

Another FWIW, maybe 'good' stripper is coming (back) to the market. Here I'm pretty much stuck buying local brands and they have historically been very weak. I bought some a few months ago that takes off poly almost as good as the older stuff took off lacquer. This stuff was pricy, $12.95/qt., nothing distinguishable on the label. Shop around!

Scotch brite pads work great helping strip. Done alot of this stuff nothing like steel wool for that slick as glass look.
If iam stripping a radio iwould take chassi , and speaker out. Can air off steel wool particles .
OH i pick up tooth brushes every time i find those hard to find left handed ones.

denver Wrote:Done alot of this stuff nothing like steel wool for that slick as glass look.=

The white Scotchbrite pads trump 4x0000 steel wool for shine for me Icon_smile

Polyurethane, UGH. When I was young and foolish I used to use the stuff. Then I learned better and began to use lacquer, which is what was used originally on our radio cabinets.

Lacquer dries faster and is easier to correct if you mess up.

Bill, what is the brand name of the stripper you found that removes polyurethane?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron, I'm not at home right now but I think it was ENCO. We mainly have Enco and Lanco products. They each have various strippers available.

I don't see it listed on Enco's website.

http://www.encomfg.com

STRYPEZE AT LOWES WORKS GREAT STRIPPED WHOLE FLOORS WITH IT AND ALL THE OAK TRIM IN A HOUSE . HAD 5 COATS ON IT.
DENVER

I used Stripeze. Poly was thin.
Restained cabinet now it needs a finish coat.
Used to use Tung-seal on tables...
Any ideas or thoughts?

tim

good stuff cant go wrong . just make sure you tack cloth good between coats. As far as scotch brite and steel wool four oooo wool wont see one swirl or scratch,
makes one nice finish . DONE ALOT OFCABINETS LOOKS LIKE A MILLION BUCKS.