Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

40-180 Start up & volume problems

I have recapped this radio and it does play. it takes a minute to hear any sound and the speech is not clear and volume slowley increases in about three minutes. The speach clears up and volume is ok. This set uses a 1232(RF), 6J8(Det, Osc),(7B7 ) IF, 7C6(1st Audio), 84(Rect) and 2(41 output tubes). The radio motorboats on the shortwave band and seems to get faster as I go up the dial. Could one or more of the tubes be the cause of the problems or is it something else? Thans for any help..radionut

Just hang on you,ll start receving answers from alot of experts . I think reason you haven,t because of power outage some places.

Denver: Thanks for the words of encouragemant. I shall be eagerly be awaiting the responses. have a wonderful rest of the week!

The radio motorboats on the shortwave band and seems to get faster as I go up the dial.

Could be a tube or tube shield not in place. More likely a missing bypass capacitor.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

None of the 40-180s (or 40-190s, for that matter) I've seen have tube shields, so that isn't a likely case.