Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First find
Photo 

Hi guys

I'm very new to radio restoration (a whole month and one chassis completed) so I'm still looking for good radios. I picked this one up off Craigslist yesterday. The inside (chassis, speaker) look as good as the outside. I think I got a steal for $25. What do you think?

[Image: https://images.craigslist.org/00S0S_eVeu...00x300.jpg]

I think you lucked out BIG TIME ! Congratulations ! I'd love to see more pictures, especially of the chassis. What does the model label on the inside say? From the picture, I'd say it looks like a 42-390X. I also hope you post about your refurbishment of the radio, with pictures showing the stages along the way. If it is a 42-390X it is has standard broadcast AM, shortwave, and the old FM band. You can build converters which will allow you to receive the new FM frequencies on the old FM band. I think somebody makes them too which you can buy ready made. Good luck to you. Also, don't go poking around with the discriminator can adjustments until after you have a converter and can make sure that you are getting something it can receive properly before you play with it. It may be right on adjustment as it is. These old FM sets can be quite fussy. I know. I restored a 48-482, and it receives the MODERN FM frequencies, so I didn't have the added problem of trying to convert them to the old band. Keep us posted, and don't hesitate to ask questions. I'll enjoy watching your progress.

Me too!
What a great looking cabinet.

Icon_smile

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Yes, I remember seeing that one on cl. Gave up on consoles.