Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 46-350 Code 125 Found To-day!

Rod, how does this radio perform on batteries? Is this thing a good Night-time DX'ing Radio?

Didn't try batteries but it probably does great without the AC line noise. I sold it to a fellow in Missouri right away and he is very pleased I have another on the shelf waiting it's turn.

Great, maybe I'll be the first to try one of these on batteries in the modern era! 

The Funny thing is, my farm radio which is strictly batteries only, doesn't have AC Line Noise, but it does pick up on radiated AC noise like the noise that's radiated off of Switch mode Power Supplies or AC Adaptors and phone chargers, and LED light bulbs.

I have two examples of this set, one is U.S built, the other Canadian. The Canadian set used the cloth covered wire, so in good shape, the U.S set  used vinyl covered wire in the battery cable, and under the chassis, no rubber. I got the U.S one working, I did encounter the crumbling condenser can, I wonder if it was actually aluminum, or pot metal as it was dull, the one in the Canadian set is shiny, just like Aluminum should be. I never did get the Canadian set going, and I've had it for over 30 years now, I narrowed down the problem to the oscillator, last time I worked on it, it just refuses to work, it could be a defective mica cap that I was oblivious to. I left the 117Z3 tubes in place, there was no advantage to changing them as the set is fairly well ventilated, plus it acts as a soft start for the B+ supply, and consequently the A+ supply.
Regards
Arran