Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

help on Philco 37-600 wont pick up stations after re-cap

when I bought the radio it had a very loud hum but I could still pick up about 3 stations.
I replaced caps and replaced caps inside blocks. there are 3 of them. new power cord. new rectifier tuber, power cord.
now when I turn it on loud hum is gone but now I cannot pick up any stations. just hear very low hum and no static and nothing happens when I turn the volume up or down. have a 5 foot antenna wire.
don't know what happened but as I changing out the caps I tested the radio before I moved on to the next cap. when I finally replaced the last electronic condenser part number twin 4mf and 8mf philco part number 30-2149 . this was the last part and now I cannot pick up stations. any help is greatly appreciated.

Caps installed correctly? No negative connections to chassis here.

Both negatives go to the center tap of the power transformer and one end of the 300 ohm resistor #36 and bypass cap # 37. A Exray stated neither cap connects to the chassis.

It is posible that the problem is not even related to the capacitor change. I can't tell you how many times I have had a problem crop up, completely unrelated to the part I'm working on. Here is a couple of quick tests.With your finger, touch the grid cap of the 2nd detector tube. You should hear a hum. If not the problem is in the output section or the power supply. Next tune the radio to the low end of the dial, say about 600 KC. Your radio has an IF frequency of 470 KC, so tune another radio to 1070KC and see if you can hear a squeal or howl. You may need to rock one of the dials a little. If there isn't, the oscillator isn't working.
Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes