Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 84 schematic error and confusion

The schematic below from an 84 shows a CT (5) on the filament windings of the power transformer to the CT (8) of the 80 plate windings.

The transformer is a 32-7180, also used in a 37-84, which looks like the same chassis, doesn't have that CT. I took the transformer apart, and there is no evidence of there ever being a CT on those windings.

And if you compare the 1934 84 to the 1937 84, the only difference is that CT, AND the .015 cap #32 is not there.

[Image: https://i.imgur.com/SjwLlWT.jpg]

Ok so the difference two things.

1. By having a ct on the ac heater winding it's use to balance the 60 cy out hum.
2. By not having a ct it's cheaper as you can save on the cost on wire to connect one side of the heater back to the transformer rather than just grounding it.

Sets that use a regenerative detector are prone to pickup hum from any sort of ac field so shielding and decoupling are important. It's akin to a tube in a high gain audio amplifier. Put your hand near it and it hums. Wack it with your finger it rings like a bell. Both the high amp and regen det are typically on the hairy edge of stability do to they high value control grid resistor.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

The note below the schematic says cap #32 is only installed in early sets. We've seen this before in early sets where there is a bypass cap across the ps field choke.
Smile 

Didn't see that. Old men need big print.

Yep, it definitely says 82.